Mission: Mozambique Maputo Mission (Portuguese speaking)
Dates served: October 2004-October 2006
Home city: Salt Lake City, Utah
Relation to Uncle Bud: Great nephew through the Ruth Taylor Kartchner branch
I remember when I opened my mission call. I was near one of my favorite lakes and secluded myself to open my call in privacy. I read the line, “You are assigned to labor in the South Africa Johannesburg Mission.” I was elated with excitement and continued reading, “You will prepare to preach the gospel in the Portuguese language.” I thought to myself, “Portuguese in South Africa?” I later realized that Mozambique was not an actual mission at the time and was a sub-mission of South Africa. The Mozambique Maputo Mission became an official mission December 2005, one month after I arrived in the country.
My mission was a pivotal point in my life. I learned how to work hard, play hard, serve with a willing heart, and testify boldly with the power of the Holy Ghost. The people in Mozambique seemed to be humble and accepting in nature which provided me with many opportunities to teach the gospel and to invite many of our brothers and sisters into the waters of baptism. That mission was everything what I wanted it to be and even more. My mission has changed my life in many ways but the most important theme that was impressed on me was that anyone can do anything with faith in Christ and his atonement. I taught raging alcoholics that did not want anything to do with the church that I later learned became righteous Elder’s Quorum Presidents or Branch Presidents. I saw broken families become strong in the gospel that mended their ways, held callings and magnified them and it is due to the gospel of Jesus Christ and the testimony those people developed through sacrifice and hope.
I love this church and I will always do my best to serve my Father in Heaven with my whole heart. Missionary work is sacred and we cannot waste it. The church is true and I know Christ lives and loves us. Through his atoning sacrifice we can change for the better and become perfect.