Mission: New York, New York City South
Dates served: May 2007 to May 2009
Home city: Meridian, Idaho
Relation to Uncle Bud: Great nephew through the Ruth Taylor Kartchner branch
I had the privilege of serving in New York City in Brooklyn, Queens, and Long Island. I served a Spanish-speaking mission but was able to mix with millions of people from all over the world and from a large mix of cultures. Our primary mode of transportation in the city was buses and trains, which provided unlimited opportunities to share the gospel. I loved serving the Lord in the midst of so much ordered confusion in Brooklyn and Queens and on the peaceful Long Island. Most of the people I worked with were illegal immigrants from many of the countries in South America. The majority of those I worked with were Mexican and Ecuadorean but included most, if not all of the Spanish speaking countries of the world. Most of these people had traveled to the United States in search of a better life and/or to provide for their families. These were great men and women of faith and devotion to God that have deeply enriched my life. The mission experience was the best two years of my life up to that point and has further centered and rooted my testimony in Christ and the restored gospel. Because of what I learned, I have come to a greater understanding of eternal families, and the opportunities we have in returning to God through Christ and his atonement for us. I am eternally grateful for what I have both learned and experienced on the mission, which has helped me form a sure foundation on Jesus Christ.